Cannon Drive Relocation - Phase 2
Cannon Drive Relocation – Phase 2, will rebuild the roadway between John Herrick Drive and Woody Hayes Drive at its current elevation and construct a certified ODNR flood protection levee. When complete, the project will add up to 500-year flood protection for the Columbus campus. Work also includes a new signalized intersection at Woody Hayes Drive and the continued expansion of the river park.
The project aligns with Framework 2.0, and continues the work of Cannon Drive – Phase 1 which created a certified flood levee between King Avenue and John Herrick Drive.
View Campus Traffic Impact Map
- BoT ApprovalAugust 2017DesignOctober 2017 – August 20222022
- ConstructionAugust 2022 – December 20242025
- Facility OpeningJanuary 2025
Construction Stages Through November 2023
- Construction fencing is installed.
- The Lincoln Tower parking lot closes.
- Intermittent Cannon Drive closures near Morrill Tower. Pedestrians will be detoured.
- Cannon closes between 12th and Herrick.
- The Herrick and Cannon intersection & Herrick bridge closes.
- Bus and vehicle traffic will be re-routed.
- EMS traffic will use existing cut-through near BRT.
- The Chiller parking lot closes.
- Cannon remains closed north of 12th.
- The Herrick bridge remains closed with bus and vehicle traffic re-routed.
- The Olentangy River pedestrian bridge experiences intermittent closures.
- The Olentangy River Trail is re-routed around Ohio Stadium.
- Cannon reopens between 12th and Herrick.
- Herrick reopens between Olentangy and Cannon.
- Cannon Drive closes north of Herrick.
- Bus and vehicle traffic rerouted.
- The Olentangy Trail detour remains.