Slideshow: Interdisciplinary Research Facility
The Interdisciplinary Research Facility, located inside Ohio State’s Innovation District, is 57% complete. Construction updates on the five-story, 305,000 square foot building include:
- On the penthouse floor, exterior metal siding work is almost wrapped up, and the installation of four large air handling units is complete. A specialty exhaust system with four entropic heat wheels continues throughout the penthouse. The wheels are anticipated to lower heating and cooling bills by approximately 30%.
- Brickwork on the west side of the facility is finished, and the north side is expected to be fully in place by the end of February 2022.
- Windows have been installed throughout most of the facility. Later this spring, the exterior buck hoist elevator on the south side of the facility will be removed, and remaining windows will go in its place.
- Temporary heat has been turned on for the entire building and is using ENGIE natural gas service.
- Drywall installation on the first floor is complete, and second floor drywall hanging began in early February.
- Installation of the acoustical ceiling gird on the first floor is 20% complete.
The 305,000 square foot facility is scheduled to open June 2023 and will serve multiple research disciplines working together, including biomedical, life sciences, engineering and environmental sciences, among others. In addition, two floors will be dedicated to The Ohio State University Comprehensive Cancer Center, including its new Pelotonia Institute for Immuno-Oncology. Each of the five floors of the building will be designed to facilitate collaboration.
View the photo slideshow above to track the project’s progress.